The evening began at 6:30 pm with a recitation of the rosary led by Florence Marsh.
President Rosann Bost called the meeting to order. The minutes from the previous meeting were distributed to the members. With no additional changes or corrections, Nancy August made a motion to approve the minutes. Sue Saulsbery seconded the motion and the minutes were approved.
Linda Joyce presented a treasurer’s report with an ending balance of $4,662.06. Pat Taylor made a motion to approve the report which was seconded by Linda Wasson and approved.
A trip is being planned to the Gates of Heaven Cemetery on November 13. We will car pool from the church parking lot at 10:00 am. Interested members should call the church office to confirm your attendance.
Fr. Jeff reported that the Adoration and Exposition of the Eucharist on November 4 went well and the Eucharist was not left unattended.
Rosann announced that several committees still need chairpersons. She is encouraging members to volunteer for these committees and serve a limited 2 year term. Sue Saulsbery volunteered to chair the Pie Sale Committee and Nancy August volunteered to chair the Rummage Sale Committee. The next card party is scheduled for May 13, 2014 and Linda Joyce, Ruth Jezak and Pam Humes volunteered to coordinate the Kitchen Committee for that event. Rosann sent letters to students in grades 9-12 that explained the purpose of Altar Rosary Society and guidelines for the Graduation Award. Pat Taylor volunteered to chair the Graduation Award Committee.
It was determined that the coffeemaker in the kitchen works if it is plugged into the correct outlet, so a new coffeemaker will not need to be purchased.
A Samaritan Dinner will be held at Antonios Restaurant on December 17 for all people who use the food pantry. ARS members are asked to donate cookies for this dinner and bring them to the church kitchen.
Theology Uncorked will resume this Thursday, November 7 at 6:30 pm. Participants do not need to bring snacks this week since there are leftovers from the All Souls Day dinner.
College goody boxes will be packed on Wednesday, December 4 at 3:00 pm in the church hall. Members are asked to donate items for these boxes.
The ARS Christmas party will be held on December 1 at Hotel Conneaut beginning at 1:00 pm.
The cost is $16 and reservation forms are available.
John Meyerhoff completed the display table for the ARS scrapbooks. Sue Saulsbery made a motion to purchase a $50 gift certificate from Applebee’s Restaurant as an expression of thanks to John for sharing his time and talents to construct the table. Pat Kaider seconded the motion which was passed.
Vicki Leap reported that the Parish Feast Day celebration will be held on December 8. She needs kitchen help that day and volunteers to decorate on December 7. A discussion followed concerning how to entertain young guests while the piñata activity takes place. Sue Saulsbery made a motion to provide goody bags for children ages 3 and under. Sue Drexler seconded the motion which was passed.
Carolyn Melby reminded the group to consider attending the upcoming Morning of Reflection on Saturday, November 9 from 8:30 until noon.
JoAnne Elwell received a comfort blanket from her sister when Fr. Steve passed away. She had it framed to donate to the church and asked Altar Rosary Society to pay the $69.17 cost for framing. Carol Saulsbery made a motion to pay for the cost of framing and Veronica Valentine seconded the motion which was passed.
Rosann thanked our hostesses for the evening, Linda Joyce, Ruth Jezak and Pam Davis. She also extended birthday wishes to all members who are celebrating birthdays in November.
Pat Gilfoyle won the 50/50 for $9.50.
Veronica Valentine made a motion to adjourn the meeting, which was seconded by Mary Anne Shay. With no further business, the meeting was adjourned.
Members modeled their best Christmas sweaters and Sue Treacy was declared the first place winner, Sue Drexler was awarded second place and Pam Humes received third place. Regifting Christmas presents were distributed to participating members.
Respectfully submitted, Sue Treacy
Altar Rosary Society
Calendar for 2013
- No general meeting
- Weekend of January 12th-13th: Crèche display in hall
- No general meeting
- 3rd : Dinner & a movie
- 5th: ARS meeting beginning with a Mass at 6:00
- 16th-17th : St. Joseph’s Table
- 16th: First Reconciliation Reception
- 17th: Dinner & a movie
- 2nd: ARS meeting after recitation of the Rosary at 6:30
- 5th: First Communion Reception
- 7th: ARS meeting after recitation of the Rosary at 6:30
- 9th: Confirmation at OLQA
- 11th-12th: Pro-life Carnation Sale after Masses
- 14th: ARS Card Party (doors open at 5:00)
- 25th: ARS Memorial Day weekend pie sale beginning at 9:00am
- 4th: ARS summer outing with Mass, dinner & a meeting; Iroquois Club at 6:00 pm
- 9th: Baccalaureate breakfast & Graduation Award after 10:30 Mass
- 19th: Car trip to Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Erie from 10 am until 2:30 pm*
- 24th: Retreat to Sisters of St. Joseph in Erie from 9:30am until 2pm with Sister Mary Ann White
- No general meeting
- 6th: ARS meeting beginning with recitation of the Rosary at 6:30; Nancy Kopf “Adopt a School Trip” program
- 31st: ARS Labor Day weekend pie sale beginning at 8:30am
- 3rd: ARS meeting beginning with recitation of the Rosary at 6:30
*8th: ARS meeting beginning with Mass at 6:00; Membership Recruitment meeting to include chili/cornbread dinner (Please note meeting is on the SECOND TUESDAY this month)
- 19th: ARS rummage sale
- 5th: ARS meeting beginning with recitation of the Rosary at 6:30; Fun meeting to include re-gifting & best holiday-decorated sweater
- 13th: Visit Father Steve’s Gravesite in Erie*
- 1st: ARS Christmas party beginning at 1:00 at Hotel Conneaut; Bring socks for kids
- 4th: Pack “Goodie Boxes” for college students at 3:00 in the church hall
- 8th: Parish Feast Day celebration after 10:30 Mass
* We will be leaving the church parking lot at 10:00, car pooling to Erie and saying the Rosary at Father Steve’s gravesite. We will then have lunch in Erie and return to Conneaut Lake about 2:30 pm
The Altar Rosary Society is creating a scrapbook that will include the past to the present. If you have any ARS pictures, memorabila, and memories, plus unneeded scrapbooking materials and/or time you would be willing to donate to this project, contact Mary Anne Shay at 382-8402. Anything regarding OLQA’s ARS would be appreciated.